April 2012 Chapter Event
Topic: Turkey Foot Middle School - A Net Zero Project
When: Apr 27, 2012 - 2pm
Where: 3230 Turkeyfoot Rd, Edgewood, KY 41017
Turkey Foot Middle School aims to be a cutting edge school with numerous energy efficiency measures including geothermal heating and cooling plus a lighting control system that utilities natural light to minimize energy used by electric lighting.
• 133,000 Square feet, 1000 students, opened in 2010, cost $172/sf before solar, $190/sf with solar, ENERGY STAR 2011 - Ranking 100
• In April 2012 the school generated 44,000 kWh and bought 18,000 additional kWh from Duke. Duke bill was only $1,800
• Solar cost was $4M. School system spent $2M, other $2M came from Recovery Act.
• Solar consists of crystalline PVs by Sharp and Thin Film PVs by Unicoi. 385 kW on the roof + 58 kW on the canopy.
• Estimated savings from PV about $60,000 per year.
• About 175 sRECs - Each sREC is 1000 kWh
• Including solar, the facility is operating at about 12 kBTU/sf, 24 kBTU/sf without solar. ASHRAE standard is 76 - 79.
• Green Vegetative Roof with rainwater harvesting – 50% less water runoff with 50% less particulates
• CO2 Demand Control Ventilation limits air intake
• Roof water runoff used for gray water in bathrooms
• Geothermal heat pump HVAC
• Tube skylights for daylighting
• School used experience from K-Wood to downsize natural daylight. Turkey Foot has 50% less glass than K-Wood, and K-Wood is half the size of Turkey Foot. Because of this and the building insulation, they were able to downsize mechanicals, glass, etc. This experience will go into the new design of Scott HS.
• Ground Face Block and No-Wax Concrete Floors were used throughout the facility. This lowered maintenance cost. The school added more sq ft without the need to increase maintenance staff or budget.
• ICF - Insulated Concrete Form Walls
• Efficient Kitchen Design
• LED Parking Lights
Take I-275 in Northern KY, going EAST from I-71-75 interchange
Take exit 82 for KY-1303 - Turkeyfoot Rd
Go SOUTH on KY-1303 - Turkeyfoot Rd
Travel 1.1 miles. School will be on the right