January 2013 Chapter Event
Topic: LED Technology Presented by LSI Industries
When: January 31, 2013 - 2pm
Where: 5140 River Valley Rd, Milford, OH 45150
Steve Melink will lead our tour of his LEED Platinum facility, showing and discussing how systems were designed and perform.
• The 30,000 sf all-electric facility includes 20,000 sft of offices and meeting space, 10,000 sf for a light manufacturing plant.
• Aiming to be a net-zero energy building, walls have R-19 insulation, roof has R-30 and high-performance windows maximize daylighting and solar reflection while minimizing convection losses.
• Sun shades and blinds on windows reduce solar gain during warmer months
• Geothermal wells with over 5 miles of underground piping heat and cool the building.
• Installed solar electric including seven of Melink's pre-engineered Ingrid® 2kW ground-mounted solar PV systems, one 25.5kW ground-mounted solar array, and one 11.8kW solar canopy installed on the corporate campus.
• A low-speed wind turbine complements the solar PV systems by generating power when the sun is not shining
• 25kW in lead-acid and lithium-ion battery storage reduces peak-demand in summer and winter. When the solar and wind systems create excess energy, it is stored in batteries first before sending energy to the utility electric grid.
• Power usage is monitored via sub-meters for each section of the building to allow separate monitoring of HVAC, lighting, and plug loads. Temperature, CO2, light levels, geothermal water temperature and flow-rates are also monitored.
• A solar thermal system minimizes electric heating for hot water for the second floor gym showers
• Company cars include a Chevy Volt and several Toyota Priuses
From I-275 on east-side of Greater Cincinnati
• Take exit 59 for OH-450 toward Hillsboro/US-50
• Merge onto Milford Pkwy, heading east
• Turn right onto US-50. Go south abt 2 miles
• Turn right on Round Bottom Rd. Go west abt 1 mile
• Turn right (north) on River Valley Rd